Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 8: Will she or won't she?

I know it's just plain old vanity, but I really cringe when I look in the mirror and see any new visible signs of aging. There's not a lot I can do about the wrinkles without some expensive plastic surgery and I can accept that. However, when it comes to the things I can fix, I usually don't hesitate. Last summer I took the plunge and got some serious highlights put in my hair. I'm talking platinum blonde highlights. I was afraid it might be too gaudy but as it turns out, I liked it a lot. I had them refreshed a couple of months ago and now my roots are showing big-time. So here it is, the dead of winter, and I hear from my "fashion consultants" that getting frosty blonde highlights right now may not be a good idea until there's enough sun that I could pretend they are natural. Something along the lines of not wearing white after Labor Day and before Memorial Day, I think. Whatever the reason, it's not "cool," and may even cross the line into "tacky" (the Southern woman's ultimate style insult). This presents a dilemma. I have weathered the invasion of the grays fairly well to this point but it appears that lately I am losing the battle and something drastic needs to be done. If I can't (or shouldn't) get heavy highlights, maybe I could go back to my (more or less) natural color for a couple of months and at least cover the gray. So here's a self-portrait that may turn out to be a "before" shot. Yes, my camera made it into the picture. It's doing most of the work anyway so I guess it deserves a little time in the spotlight. :-)

5 comments:

  1. I love this self portrait! I posted one as well, and I sure was hesitating to hit that "publish" button! But I'm certain that we'll be grateful we captured our images in this project when we look back on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the song goes, "You can't please everyone, you gotta please yourself."

    Besides, those who wear white after Labor Day just call it Winter White.

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. He dont let the fashion Nazis get to you. They just dont want you to be a trendsetter and I am sure whatever you decide will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it! Its summer somewhere? Maybe you just got back from a wonderful vacation in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got highlights in December! but I also got underlights or lowlights or something like that too.. so I'm not quite as blonde as in the summer.... they alternated the blonde with a shiny golden light brown close to my natural color (which is really a mousey blonde with bits of gray not popping in)..but I think it looks good...I think next time though I'll tell them go for more blonde.... but I like your blonde... it looks natural to me...go for it if you want!

    ReplyDelete